Monday, October 09, 2006

How do you like them apples?

Stop Police!!!
I have no respect for the police
they can see it in my face
I don’t have
to say
a
thing

But every Eve already has me
passing by through this extra-eden
with no visible weapon
no visible cuffs
yet I would willingly walk
to whichever gaol
hand myself over
and confess.

I do not disrespect the police
but I do not share their faith in their authority
I see the clothes and shiny things
which are supposed to communicate
status, powers invested, my obedience
and these appear to me as
starchy
uncomfortable
ill-fitting.

While Eve’s every gesture
each combination of cloth
contains a grand mystery
which can brook only worship
uncalled for
but unavoidably offered
and I’ll stop all my scrumpying
for her cider.

James Piers Taylor, 9th October 2006, London


IMAGE: Policeman marionette (c.1870-1890) by the Tiller family Marionette Company, held at the Victoria & Albert Museum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home